Founded in 1954 by Edmond Carbonneau, the company initially operated a wire saw plant, providing slabs from rough blocks to Barre’s memorial manufacturers. In 1973, Edmond’s son Randy joined Hillside. Due to steadily growing customer demand, a 10’ diameter saw was installed in 1980 and polishing equipment was added in 1983. Hillside accelerated its product diversification in 1985; the year daughter Sarah Somerville joined the company’s current management team. They introduced a variety of architectural products for business applications, including cut-to-size stone for building facades, steps, pavers and other custom granite products. CarbonCraft ™ countertops in a wide variety of styles and granites were also offered to retailers and homeowners throughout New England.